Thursday, June 18, 2009

A KU Adventure--Part 1

S had an appointment at our favorite school this past week. We drove up the day before and drove around campus. The summer semester was ongoing there and we stopped in shopping at the Union and other places. We had a discussion on where to eat supper and finally came up with a place called "Henry T's."

It was nearing 5:30 and we thought, wow this place will be packed! It wasn't. There was one other family just finishing up eating and then us. They have a variety of food offered there from sandwiches to ravioli. We ordered our food and waited. Later on they brought out these huge portions of food which we couldn't even make a dent in. The waffle fries were tasty and a bit on the salty side. So if you are watching you salt intake because of blood pressure problems, then go easy on these. I was trying to rub off the saltiness in my napkin. I order ravioli and wished I would have split a meal with one of my family members. It was just too much food for me to handle. J got a burger and S and L both got fish.

Henry T's is good, but maybe next time we will be heading for Longhorn Steak House for the same priced food and split meals to save money.

After eating we decided to return to campus to walk around. We knew that the Bill Self camp was being held this week and wondered if we could find his office. We didn't think he would be there because he is so busy. So we went into one building where a family was looking for the campers game.

A Camper's Game! We were on the hunt, which way down the hall should we go to look for the court? So we walked upstairs in this nice remodeled building with a blue spiral staircase. I walked by a temporary office sign with Director of Athletics, and before my little mind could calculate just who's office that was, that person came out of the office.

Upon seeing him I said, "Hi Lew." He smiled at us (just J and S were with me, L was elsewhere). Then I continue to say, "It's nice to meet you." He asked us how we were and I said, "We were just looking around." He told us not to get lost because it was easy to with all the new changes. I said bye to him and L peaked around the corner and saw him. L asked, "Was that?" I nodded and said, "Yep, that was Lew Perkins, director of athletics." And L asked, "I heard you talking to someone and I wondered who."

I take after my mom in some respects when it comes to talking to total strangers. When I was a teenager my family (mom and dad and me) went to Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh to be exact to see a game. We were walking together around the stadium and a famous manager came walking down the street with another coach (I'm assuming). Mom passed by him and said, "Hi Yogi." It was Yogi Berra, who was the manager of the Mets at that time. My dad and me just looked at mom and thought "WHAT??? How could you do that?" Then Yogi smiled at her and said, "Hello." My mom was thrilled to death!! So I remembered her doing this. We used to kid her at times and talk about her talking to Yogi. So now my mom and I have something in common. :)

We looked at the window and saw a long line of campers headed in an easterly direction. We followed them past Allen Fieldhouse, passed the tennis courts and to the new student workout center. We were thinking we could see Coach Self and the players helping out with the camp. Alas we didn't until.... (see part 2 for further details!)

No comments: