in a week!!
S is back east for the Mennonite USA conference. It is comforting to know what is going on daily with text and twitter technology with the group. It makes it so much easier to know how your teen is doing and what they are doing at conference. Way back in the time, or as I call it the "dark ages," if you were gone back east or wherever you were, had to wait on that postcard. The postcard usually took 3 days to arrive back home and sometimes in your travels you may have even beaten the postcard you wrote back home. Times and technology have certainly improved! I could see what S was doing within minutes thanks to the cell phone.
-----
We are taking a vacation and it has been a long time coming. We had been taking mini-vacations on the weekends but this is the first time upon getting my job (3 years ago) that we will have significant time off. Granted I will loose money (which is not good) because of our time off. So I have been busily writing notes to the person who will clean the church in our absence. I have nearly 2 pages (front and back) full of notes and even that I think "oh I need to say this and that," these are not enough notes. When we clean the church everything is pretty automatic, but when you are telling another person how YOU do it, it will probably vary somewhat even then. I have tried to make sure that most supplies can be found. I have put a request in for the last 3 weeks to get a certain product. If it doesn't come before we leave and they run out, it won't be my problem.
People have asked me to work for them (church related work such as scripture reader) during that time and there is an extra activity going on that week. Sorry, it can't be helped; the custodians need time off just like everyone else. Are you willing to wait 3 years for a vacation? I think not.
---------
I have been making notes like crazy. I have someone to watch the "boys" when we are gone. We bought a self-feeder for the inside boy and that should make things easier for him and the person. The outside boy, well that's another matter. My person will have to make sure he's not digging out to go look for us and do the "Incredible Journey" thing. I will have to make a note to get him a few toys so all he should concentrate on is chewing, chasing birds and eating. This is the first time I've had two "boys" to take care of when vacationing. It will be a new experience.
Hopefully the inside boy will not turn on us for leaving him.
------
We have plenty to get prepared when taking a long trek. Packing is ultimately important especially when your trunk is as big as an over sized glove compartment. We will have to pack a lot less, combining things, and leaving unnecessary items behind. Thankfully S and J no longer need a bag of toys to keep entertained a long the way. One time we took tiny Lego's and those things were all over the seat and floor of the van. Another time we took a laundry basket filled with toys and crayons. Crayons and heat do not mix if you haven't discovered this deadly combination before! We pack for food and drinks along the way. We have to get caffeine for the driver and that is most important when driving. It's easy to get tired when letting cruise control take over and the hot sun is beating across your face.
------
I can only put so much in my front seat area because of our little car. Room enough for a map (not lucky enough to have a GPS system, yet) some distractions (books, magazine, puzzles), perhaps snacks but I see this in the back as well. It makes it hard if you want to shift positions in the car with your feet.
----
Of course there is prepping for the trip included finding hotels along the way and how long to drive. In the past we took 3 days to drive the trip and we would stop early like 4 or so. Now that everyone is older we are planning to take it in driving 2 days up instead. Sunset doesn't occur until much later so we think we can do it.
----
I replay in my mind (and with the help of a tape we did) 3 years back on what sites we will see. Then I think about those (my family) whom I haven't seen in 3 years wow! I can't wait for vacation!
--Rambling down the road in one week!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
have a good time! S will be going coast to coast!
Have a good time.
Be going where two of your daughters are/were E and P! :)
Thanks for the good wishes Elderberry and E and P.
Post a Comment