Monday, July 6, 2009

Random thoughts

Today L and I were visiting our local Auto parts store because our old used green car wouldn't start. So we were in line waiting on the next available clerk. This one guy came up to the counter and talked to the clerk. He said, "I would say something more about this but there is a lady present."

I looked around, huh? I hadn't really noticed but I was the only female present. The Auto store had a clerk name Viki, but she wasn't there at the present time. Granted, yes, I am a lady, BUT I have heard off-colored language before. Nothing he would say would have shocked me. Cussing "like a sailor," (as my mom would say) wouldn't have phased me.

However, it did make me feel honored as a female. How about not cussing around a Christian? Why don't people say this, "Oh I would say "more" but there are Christians around." How would that make you feel if you heard this? Would you feel offended or honored?

Should I have taken this as a chauvinistic slap in the face because I AM a female?

I just smiled thinking that probably everyone should watch their tongue regardless if there is a female present or not. As a Christian I find off colored language highly offensive.

I don't know just a thought.
--------
Last week I went shopping at a discount store and wanted something at the top shelf. I just hate it when you have to step on the bottom shelf just to try and get a product. Often times when L has been with me, short old ladies ask him to reach for a product that they want. He obliges and helps them. I don't consider myself THAT short (like Flute) but nonetheless I am not an Amazon Woman either.

So I surveyed the situation. I wanted this product on the top shelf that was pushed back. I didn't want to walk to the other side of the store to pick up L and I didn't feel confident just asking some random person in the aisle to grab the item. First I stood on the bottom shelf and still couldn't get it. Then I thought about leaping up, no, I couldn't do that. Finally I took an empty flat box, outstretched my arms and extended the box onto the product until it fell of the shelf. That worked! Sometimes I think grocery stores either need to lower their shelves for the shorter people or at least install a grabber in each aisle to pick the box off the shelf.
-----
Tomorrow is the day before the vacation. This is a vacation to visit family, not for pleasure, but it is pleasurable to see the sites along the way. As we have driven this route many times before it can never get old. Looking at the beauty of the rock formations (in particular around the Ogden, Utah area) and the mountain (in Oregon) with the Columbia River dividing Washington and Oregon, you can't help but think about God's handiwork. How He created the mountains, the streams and the rocks. It is too awesome for words. It is breath taking! :)

No comments: