Monday, August 3, 2009

Two Birth--Days, today!

Both of my kids, S and J share the same birthday today. Twins, three years apart! People ask how that happened. I shrug my shoulders. It certainly wasn't planned. S was due 2 weeks later and J was late. However, both were induced on the same day. The doctor wanted them born on Aug. 2nd...still it didn't happen.

I was in for a routine checkup in the afternoon of Aug.2nd sixteen years ago and after looking at the 1 dimensional sonogram the doctor determined that she needed to be born 2 weeks early. I think I was low on amniotic fluid. I had nothing packed when I went to the hospital. They induced labor that evening and she didn't show up until a day later. After having her I had to have a few blood transfusions as I lost a lot of blood. Three years later when I was due with J they told me what I had. My blood wasn't clotting and I could have died in childbirth. The doctor didn't tell me this because he didn't want me to fearful of having another child. If this was the "old west" where modern medicine didn't come into play that would have been it for me and my life and probably the child's life.

Three years later J was overdue by a few days. Labor was induced on the magic Aug. 2nd day. He was nearly born that day but waited until the following day to be born. I can remember being in labor and looking at the time wondering if he would be born on S's b-day. When it went passed midnight, I accepted the fact that I would have two children with the same b-day.

When they were younger my mom termed it was like "Christmas," because of all the wrapping paper and toys. I can remember each little birthday when we had many people over at the house. Since then it has dwindled down to just the immediate family. I still have to either buy or make 2 cakes. This year I bought one at the store and made the other one. Instead of toys we get by with cards and checks.

Both of my "twins" are now teens. Hard to believe. In a few short years I will have one in college and one in HS. Many people my age have grandchildren! I can wait, at least 10 years or so.

Sweet 16---it used to mean a celebration of a child's virginity...but now it is "coming of age."
If we were Jewish, J would be undergoing a Bar Mitzvah.

I keep thinking about the Neil Sedaka song, "Happy Birthday Sweet 16" (I'm showing my age now!) or "Sixteen candles."

Wow how time flies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats an interesting story how they ended up with the same birth day. Amazing it worked that way.