Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Band Concert

The annual "Band BBQ" was held tonight at the HS. I can remember when I first moved to town that the band teacher SH (a former classmate of L's) held the BBQ in the Harper City Park. It has since changed over the years. The last time that we attended the "Band BBQ" concert was two years ago, and even then we didn't eat over there.

This year, band members sold tickets for $5.00 per person in order to raise funds for a band trip that they hope to be taking to Texas. There were scads of people, the band director wasn't expecting that many people to show up. Through the line we received a blackened bbq hamburger, sides of potato salad and beans. We showed up early as J had to get ready and play for the concert.

We got into the auditorium and waited. The concert was delayed by 20 minutes because of so many people attending.

We heard songs played by the two 6th grade bands; the two 7th and 8th grade bands; the HS band; and a combo number with all bands on the stage.

Each band sounded really great! I was most impressed with the HS band. I could remember two years ago hardly anyone went out for band. Now with Mr. B at the helm, kids enjoyed playing. Everyone sounded great and more kids are interested in taking band in HS. Mr. B even had a 7th and 8th grade jazz band. They were pretty good. It is great to see a renewed interest in music.

At the end of the concert the CHS drumline played! WOW! I was very impressed. All I could think about was going to Drum and Bugle Corp competitions and seeing their drumlines. (this was back in the 60's). I could see most of these kids in a competition like this.

Thank you Mr. B for your wonderful direction of your bands and getting students interested in band. Nice work! :)

No comments: