I have a good friend, old college friend, facebook friend, pastor at Crossroads Church in Winfield, who is the program director a radio station in Wichita. He also has an on-air shift too. in his facebook quiz he wrote down which radio stations shaped him.
I looked through his list and the only one that I recognized was WLS out of Chicago. My friend L, didn't grow up in Kansas, he's from Indiana. He went to college in Kansas and has never left here.
So I started to think about the radio stations that I used to listen to in my youth. It brought back a bunch of memories. I grew up listening to AM radio (the scratchy stuff) there was no such thing as FM radio until the early 70's. One of my favorite radio stations to listen to was KLEO, 1480 on the AM dial out of Wichita. One of the DJ's would always talk about his wife "miss Vicky." I wasn't sure if he was talking about his wife or Tiny Tim's wife, Miss Vicky. Some of the commercials I remember was Parrot-Fanilia. I never went to the "Parrot" when I moved to Wichita back in the 80's. I knew where it was located, but wasn't too impressed with the store.
My mom worked for a radio station in Hutchinson and I always listened to that one. She was the bookkeeper there. One day they had a contest on the radio and I called in and won!! I was soooo happy! Then my mom said, that since she worked there I technically wasn't allowed to win. I could no longer call in for contests on that radio station. I think I won a gift certificate at a store in Hutch downtown. I can remember the little colored paper liste that was available at Hayes Sight and Sound giving out the top 25 songs in our area. I got to know the DJ's there and even got to participate in high school reports. It was pretty cool back then. There were other schools in the area and the DJ, at the time chose me and another guy (who did reports at Central Christian HS) because our parents worked at the station.
Because of that opportunity, I went to Hutch Juco and worked on the college radio station. The other guy, who did the Central Christian reports went in to TV. He works in Wichita as a news anchor for channel twelve.
The disc jockey who worked at the radio station moved back to his hometown of Manhattan, KS. At one time he was the mayor there and I think he is still in radio.
-------
Today when I came back from work, I got some weird radio stations because of the cloud cover. It reminded me of WLS in Chicago. I could always get that one and KOMA out of Oklahoma City at night. Today instead of B98, where my friend works, I got some Amarillo, Texas station.
Ahhh...shades of when i was younger tuning into different stations across the country! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment