This week is the end of school. My 6th grader soon to be 7th grade student will be allowed to play sports this coming fall.
We discussed that he should be signing up for basketball and track. Well, he has other plans. Basketball is a real possibility but track would be out. Instead, he signed up for FOOTBALL!
My immediate thoughts went to a "Brady Bunch" episode in which Greg tells his mom that he is going out for football. His mom is in hysterics because he could get hurt. Sure enough during practice Greg gets hurt by bruising his ribs. So the doctor and his parents sidelines him. Then Greg starts taking pictures of his cheerleader girlfriend and while he does this he has a snap shot of a controversial play. In the end his career ending injury turned out to be a "blessing" as he becomes the official team photographer (isn't TV just great?)
But here this is real life. My son, who hasn't played organized football at all, not even rag tag football is going out for the 7th grade team. I tried to discourage him by saying that in the heat the coaches really make you run in heavy football gear and wondered if he could handle that. I asked him if he was going to be a place kicker. I didn't figure he would quarterback, as I think Seth would probably fit that role. I asked him what positions he thought he would play. He didn't know.
He told me that only one guy didn't sign up and this kid is a pretty solid looking kid. The typical football player type.
I informed L of J's decision and he gulped. I guess he didn't care for his choice either. I asked J, "so you don't want to run in track, but you want to run in the heat for football?" I know as a parent, I should support him in his decisions. But I think this decision is a bad decision. I am afraid of him being injured (just as Carol Brady was of Greg in the episode I described above). I don't know, maybe he will "bulk up," and change over the summer. Maybe by the time the team practices he might give it up. But then again he may like it.
I just hope he doesn't get hurt.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment