It started two days ago when L finally installed our over the oven microwave. Suddenly I had more counterspace room, something that I hadn't seen ever since we moved here over 16 years ago. More counterspace to put more junk on!
So I was looking at all that junk and decided to de-junk my kitchen, cabinet by cabinet. I found old cups that we got from fast food restaurants; tons of mugs that I picked up along my life's journey; and potlids with no pots to go under them. I am pondering why I kept these lids and yet seemingly there are no pots (anyway in the cabinets) that fit these.
Now for once I have a clean storage area of plastic dishes to keep food or to use in the microwave. I didn't have to go out or check online for an organizer. I just did it myself. Yes, that was an accomplishment. Usually I clean these things and just throw them in the cabinet hoping that they don't fall onto the floor. So it is organized. The kitchen is anyhow.
I carry those pot lids down to my basement and realize it is downstairs that is needed a ridding out. Boxes to be tossed, clothes to a goodwill store; old TV's that died and are too heavy to drag upstairs; and toys to go through that the kids have outgrown.
I think I want to keep these toys for the grandkids (hopefully that won't happen for at least another 10-15 years). Then I look back at the stuff my mom kept for her grandkids. She kept some toys and the rest are gone. I think back on some of the stuff that I had as a child and that is no longer in her house. It is sad, in some aspects, but yet, I know that she needed to rid out a lot of my toys too. So some day I am just going to spend some time in the basement to clear things out. It's just tough trying to decide which ones should stay or go.
Then I think I should have a garage sale with all these toys and stuff....but then I wonder if it would just be more prudent to give these to a Goodwill store.
How do you all part with your children's old toys and clothes? Let me know, I need some straight talk!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We let them keep the outfits they wanted to keep plus any they had class photos in or special photos in. For toys we let them decide last year when we moved what they wanted to keep, figured at 14 and 16 they could decide for themselves. On clothing that was in good shape I always gave it to Mrs. C for the store (Bearcat bucks) but now the store is out of business.
Doesn't matter how you do it, JUST GET RID OF IT while you have the desire. It's going to take years to get rid of all the stuff my folks have packratted over the years.
Post a Comment