Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Testing is done!

I went through the dreaded prep, test and the exam of the colonoscopy. As you read down in my other entry, I delayed doing it out of fear. Now, that I have done this procedure I hope that I can get others to get tested as well.

Here is my experience: On Sunday afternoon and evening I was gearing my gut by eating jello and liquids. I didn't eat any rough food (that's why I wasn't at the church dinner downing some delictables). Then that day I ate my breakfast waffles and that was it. I had nothing solid after 8 Am. I drank water, a little throughout the day because I was warned that I would be intaking a lot of liquid for the prep. So when the prep would start I would be parched.

L and I drove over to the east side of Wichita and he ate his lunch in front of me. I could smell the brownie that he was eating and I started to salivate (much like a dog would). We walked through a book store that had a large cafe and eatery inside. I could smell the food aromas and decided to get away from that area. My stomach started to growl and loud. No. I couldn't satisfy the growl, except by drinking water.

I had my liquids that I was going to mix with the prep in my ice chest. But then I thought I would get a huge 64 oz. drink at Kwik Shop. We went to this one Kwik Shop and I proceeded to fill it and said, "You know this looks like water." L sampled it and it WAS! :( So that particular store advertised Minute Maid Lemonade and they lied! So we went south to an off brand Quickie Mart and this time they had the real stuf. Only problem i could get it in 48 oz. Oh well.

The hotel that we stayed at that day was very close to my surgery center and it had a fridge, microwave, stove top and even a dishwasher....pretty neat place.

I counted down the time when I had to start my prep at 4 pm. I poured my powdered prep in the cap. It looked like A LOT! I gulped as I poured it into my 8 oz cup of Minute Maid. I stirred and stirred it well and drank it. I couldn't taste the prep at all...sure I saw it but didn't taste it. So I had to continue to drink 8 oz drinks every 15-20 minutes until 8 pm. It WAS a boatload of liquid!! UGH!! I got through the Minute Maid Lemonade and started drinking Crystal Lite Lemonade. I was getting sick of Lemonade at that point (about 2 hours into it). So I took a sip of Sprite...too sweet ! Then I poured it into Pulp Free Orange Juice, not bad. But by the time I had two more to go until the end, I pleaded with L that I could do no more! I was sick of it.

The prep worked 2 hours after my first drink. It continued to work throughout the night. Ugh!! Up until the time I had the actual test.

The test was actually the easiest thing ever!! I had an IV in my right arm and then was given oxygen, then a little tube of sleep medicine and I was out!! Zonked right out for all of 30 minutes! It was the best sleep that I had in the past two days. The surgeon told me that everything was clear and I had no polyps and no sign of any other weird abnormalities. It was over!

They said that I could go out and enjoy breakfast. I was famished!! We went out to the restaurant "The Good Egg," and split a huge cinnamon roll. Then I snacked on a biscuit from Mickey D's. I just felt so good!! That I had this done and that I am cancer free.

I'm just telling everyone that it is not as bad as it seemed. I was amazed! I had prayers said for me that night and before and knew that was what got me through it all. Thank you all! I thought about Jesus holding my hand through the surgery and woke up hearing the song in my mind, "Be Unto Your Name."

So if you haven't got tested do, because it could save your life. Do it for your family.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your posting brought back fond memories of last summer. Well, not so fond...

The prep was the worst part, but they slipped a fast on me as they asked if I would like them to take a look from the other direction as well. What made me say "ok" was their comment that most people would rather have one prep and two procedures than two preps and two procedures.

I'm glad your test was clear. I had three polyps myself, but they were normal.