Yesterday in the mail I received a questionaire from the United States District Court of Kansas. My reacation was, "great, do I have to serve?" Thoughts of getting out of fillng this form out passed through my brain.
They gave me the option instead of filling it out online! Oh joy! I don't know about most of you, but when I see the words "jury notice," I go into a cold sweat. I have been on a jury nearly twice. Once in Wichita I was on a jury and then in Anthony when I first moved down here I was picked. But thankfully the trial was called off. Thankfully for me anyway. Those were the days where I knew of no one except the pastor of the Mennonite Church and he was going to serve on the jury with me. Some people love to do this and feel like its their "civic duty," to serve. I find it as a pain and try with all my might to get out of this. I think only once L was called, but I think he knew the different parties involved and couldn't serve. Lucky.
Looking through the form, the exemptions were: working for a public office, a member of the police department or a volunteer fire department (kenny, you need any lady fire fighters?), and a member of the armed forces. I was constantly asked if I was a member of the clergy. I pondered that question. Could I say I work with the clergy and therefore I am...or that I merely "work with the clergy by being the custodian of a church," would this get me by?? I truthfully said, "No I did not work for the clergy." But I have to admit, my beliefs are strong when it comes to the death penalty, then again depending on the crime.
Other exceptions included: being over the age of 70 (I will be looking forward to that age in about 16 years); taking care of and having custody of children under 10 (flute, here's you chance for a vacation, I can watch over K2 and 3); is it too late for me to become an attorney, physician, dentist, or a registered nurse? Could being a member of the Mennonite Church be called a "religious order?"
I also will be reading the newspapers a little more carefully and form an opinion quickly. You always hear about the heinous crimes in district court or the length of the trial. I do have a fear of driving to the big city, would that exempt me? Probably not.
If serving in District Court would provide a substanial fee to serve, then most likely more people would serve. But unfortunately, they do not. I have heard of people serving as a jurror many times in their lives and enjoy that. I just wish I knew where they lived. They can have my spot!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've never been asked to serve on a jury. Perhaps it's because I don't have a driver's license, which is funny because I live only two blocks from the courthouse. It's not like I couldn't *walk* there. While I know many wish they were me, I'm frankly a little insulted.
Post a Comment