Today S told me that her favorite teacher was quitting. She was sad to say the least. She was devastated to say the most. She learned a lot about Debate/Forensics her past two years at the HS. He encouraged students to strive to do their best. He could tell them how to improve their arguement (in the case of Debate) and how to improve their Forensic piece. As a parent of a student, I found him easy to talk to and encouraging. It is rare to find a teacher who cared about students like Mr. H did.
---------
We had plenty of rain yesterday. It was a gully washer; a monsoon. We had at least 6 inches of rain hit our town. The hospital and the school were sand bagged. Streets flooded and cars were undriveable in some cases. We were traveling back on US 160 when we tuned into the "weather authority," on the radio talking about the big t-storm near Danville. We were headed right for that area!!! The sky was eerily a dark indigo blue. We looked toward the north and it was even darker there and there were reports of tornados in the Wichita area. Sheets of rain poured down. We had just bought KFC and stopped at our church to eat our supper. The rain seemingly wouldn't stop! By morning however, the water had disappeared around the streets and school wasn't called.
Our usual spots in the church flooded. Then another person's basement had water damage. We also had a friend of S's stay overnight. She didn't want to drive home, which I could perfectly understand!
-------------
Tonight, I just barely remembered that J has a singing concert tonight. J says, "I have to be out at school by 6:45..." The reaction, was WHAT?? I sighed and have to get things together by then. Next week, there is the annual Band BBQ. It will be nice to see the MS/HS band play next week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We were in Newton. Had to go to basement about 6:30 with all the Mennonite Chorus and all the people arriving for 7: program. Then drove home through Wichita and on K42 worse rain Barry has ever seen or driven through. Like driving through a car wash. You could not see anything and it was dark. Except for the BRIGHT lightening. It was a long drive home. Just ask Nikki.
Now the sumps are both running. Thank God we did the tile thing about 2 years ago. I guess I can say now it was worth the money.
Post a Comment