Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Behavioral Modification

I am conducting an animal experiment called "Behavioral Modification," on my dog Mario.

I have let him out of his pen, free to run around and expel his energy. He is quiet during the day only to bark at an occasional passerby or squirrel, siren, or whatever runs around that would make any dog bark. Today he's been out in the yard taking in the sun. He's been a really great dog these past 3 days. The weather has been great too. He goes back into his pen when it is dark. I am hoping that this change in my behavior (trusting him not to play Houdini tricks anymore) will in turn make him a better dog.

He doesn't bark all of the time. Just maybe with this freedom outside of his pen he will become the dog we want to keep.

Perhaps this is a good deal that we are so far down on the list for someone to find him another home.

I do like it when I see him in the yard and wags his tail at us. He likes his home and sometimes I really like him. It's not so much him but the environment in which he has to live in.

To keep peace in the neighborhood, it is sad that we have to give up an animal we love to accomodate others.

I haven't decided to give him up quite yet. Time will tell if we can live with him or he elsewhere.

1 comment:

flute4peace said...

I'm glad he's doing better. He must just be a high-energy dog - not that I know anything about dogs, but I do have some high-energy kids, hehe. I do know that all dogs howl at sirens because it hurts their ears. Even my MIL's dog howls out at the farm when there are sirens in town - and that's a couple miles out into the country!