Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wipe out!

J was whipping around the corner from a friends house when he fell off his bike. It seems like neither one of my kids have had problems of crashing on the street or falling on the playground like I used to do periodically as a grade school student.

When I would fall on the playground from tripping on the jump rope or running and tripping over something onto the asphalt that REALLY HURT!!

I would hobble into the office and into the nurse's area. She and I became "great" friends because of my many trips into the office. I remember her cleaning the wound up and then she put this awful orange stuff on my knees. Talk about burning!! OWWW!! She would dab in on and I would have to blow on my wound to make the stuff cool down. It wasn't peroxide nor iodine. It was called "mecurochrome" or "merbromin."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merbromin (This link explains what it was and what it looked like). From what I read, using this antiseptic is no longer advised because it contained too much mercury.

Getting that stuff on my cut knees, elbows, or legs was just plain torture!! I know it was supposed to prevent infection but to this day my skin crawls just thinking about it.

4 comments:

flute4peace said...

Awww, ouch!! That orange stuff sounds awful! Is J ok?

MB said...

Right side of his leg is pretty scratched up. After I bandaged him he went off to play tennis and didn't complain. (I would, guess I'm a whimp!)

Unknown said...

I remember mercurochrome. It was a lot more pleasant than merthiolate, which stung. I always wanted mercurochrome.

There were a lot of things we don't use any more. Do you remember Phisohex? I think the active ingredient was hexachlorophene, which ended up being banned for some reason.

MB said...

Denis: I checked up on the name phisohex and hexachlorophene. I think they found that this type of compound causes cancer. About everything (seemingly) is a cause of cancer.