Dr. C, a specialist in his own field, talked to me about my problem. I had read up on Dr. C, through the Doc Find site and found out that he was only 4 years old than me. Upon seeing him, he looked to be at least 14 years older than me. Doctors must really age. He was clear about what options I had. What I liked about him, is that he talked to me and L. He was friendly. Shook both of our hands and explained thoroughly what he could do for me. He didn't talk over my head and he is a kind man. So I had to think through the options, for about a month. Then my problem worsen a bit. I would call back to his office and talk to the nurse and was advised what to do next. I was referred to Dr. A., yet another specialist.
Again, I checked into Dr. A's credentials and checked out his website. He looked like a friendly man. He walks into the door and shook my hand...not really acknowledging L. Then he asked why I was seeing him and I told him the "problem." Then he asked me a few quick questions. Then he left the room. He was a short, young man, about 10 years younger than me. I kept thinking, all the while he was talking, "he looks like someone... some nerdy guy," I kept thinking in the back of my mind. LOL!
He came back and talked about the problem that I had and once again the options. Either I could do this or not do this operation. I'm still thinking. "Who does this guy look like?"
I kept picturing this one nerdy guy from my high school. He was intelligent, but not much on the bedside manner. Then I looked at him and thought, "Hmm, he reminds me of this basketball player I liked but he was much shorter and had red hair, and oooh, look at those thick glasses." I couldn't concentrate on my problem. I kept thinking about other people.
All the while why Dr. A was talking, not once did he look back at L. Did he think L was a "boyfriend," or my "brother? Talk to both of us, please! Finally L piped up and asked a question. A good question. Then the lightbulb in my mind popped on. I had the answer to my problem.
I thanked Dr. A and he didn't say much. But then I had to be reminded he wasn't referred by my Dr. H. He just wasn't as warm and friendly as Dr. C or H. But according to Dr. H, that's how some surgeons are.
Too bad surgeons don't realize this. If they would be nice a folksy and talk on the patients level then maybe they would be referred more often. It would be a win-win situation for everyone involved.
Yes...the decision has been made. I'll be going through surgery in the near future.
No comments:
Post a Comment