Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Allergies

Allergies...where do I start? I have had allergies since I was a 3 month old child. I was (still am) allergic to eggs. So when there are flu vaccines I cannot take the shot (it's incubated in eggs). Then in Kindergarten I constantly sneezed and had watery, red eyes. It was ragweed. Then in third grade I discovered (by accident) that I was very allergic to peanuts. I fondly call that teacher "the peanut teacher," as she made me eat a Snickers bar. Upon sinking my teeth in the candy bar, I tasted the crunch of the peanuts. ICK!! My tongue started to swell, eyes started to water, and I felt on fire. I asked the teacher if I could leave the room to get a drink of water. She said that I could not and that I would have to see the principal. Well, looking back on this incident, that would have been the best option for me. I could at least see the principal and the school nurse. Turn in this "teacher," (Better word for her would be bully) in and tell them my side of the story. Our principal was nice, unlike the teacher.

After class I went downstairs for a girl scout meeting and my mom (who was the assistant) and the leader (who was a nurse) determined things weren't right with me. My mom, should have taken me to the emergency room, but didn't. I did go home and drink a lot of cold water. Nowadays, you hear of kids actually dying from this allegy. But back in my days as an elementary student, no one ever heard of that.

When my kids went to school I would list peanut allergy for them, as I couldn't have it and wanted to keep them safe just in case they had "bully" teacher. Thankfully their teacher's (anyway in the grades) weren't bullies. The kids weren't allergic to peanuts. Thankfully they took after L.

I still have allergies to eggs, peanuts, and trees (my oak trees are seeding). I still have allergies to other things and I probably should see a doctor for them, but haven't. I am lucky that I can take prescribed allergy medicine. If I couldn't do that, then I would be downright miserable.

1 comment:

flute4peace said...

Oh yikes, that peanut situation could have been bad!!! We have allergies in our family, too, and I know it can be really miserable! I'm glad the medicine helps!