Often times I get emails about this political candidate and that political candidate. I know where most of my relatives stand on this subject, with the exception of my own brother. I shy away from getting into political discussion with them mainly because I want to remain friends with them.
I have distant cousins that bombard me with emails about political candidates. They poke fun at them and think their political candidate(s) are better. They assume I am the same party that they are. They are so very wrong. My inlaws don't get it either and they call my "party" a certain name which I care not to discuss about. When that subject comes up, I quickly change the subject or say, "Let's not go there. Or I don't even want to talk about it." It is not a subject that I will talk about with them or much less anyone, that is unless I know what party they belong to.
You just don't discuss politics. I don't even like blogging about it because it's nobody's business except my own. I learned since I was a kid living under my parent's roof never to discuss politics. Many of times one side of my relatives would agree with my parents but not with their siblings. Those relatives would go for weeks without talking to one another. It would make them angry. Life is too short to be angry all of the time so let's not fight among each other.
What political party am I? Let's NOT go there, it's no one's business and I care not to discuss it. Or even blog about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi, Marcia,
You do realize that your list of favorite books gives a pretty big clue as to your party? ;)
I've been lucky when it comes to friends, family and politics. Keith and I have two good friends, a mother and son, who are conservative Republicans. We are neither. (Keith is a moderate, while I'm a liberal and proud of it). We still love them both, and I hope the friendship is mutual. They've both moved away, so we don't get to talk to them too much anymore. Chad sometimes will send right-wing e-mails, but, if they annoy me too much, I just delete them. :)
My stepmom is also a conservative Republican and it leads to lively discussions whenever she and Dad visit, but we still like and respect each other.
I wish your inlaws could be more respectful towards your views. You're right; life is too short to be angry all the time.
Post a Comment