Thursday, December 11, 2008

Holiday Baking

I just love this time of year. I like to make cookies and other experiments in cooking. On Saturday, my church is having it's annual "cookie walk." Everyone is encouraged to bake over 3 dozen of cookies.

Each year I scour cookbooks looking for an easy recipe to make. One year I found a cookie press and made buttery cookies with red sugar sprinkles. Then I incorporated this cookie in my regular cookie making into the year. The cookie press is no long around and I don't make this cookie anymore. Another time I tried making some pecan cookies. Those didn't pan out so well and the smell wasn't at all apetizing to me. I am allergic to tree nuts and legumes. So I never, ever will make peanut butter cookies or anything remotely like this in my kitchen.

I have always made decorated sugar cookies. I have made these cookies ever since I learned to cook. The family always love them. My mom used to make the powdered sugar icing and I just do the convienent method and buy the canned frosting, and using different food colorings. Sometimes we get sprinkles and sometimes we don't. I can remember going over to a friends house and that's all her family would do. Once I got to help at their house. Little did I know at the time, this friend in high school was Mennonite. I should have figured it since her last name was Regier.

Tonight I am looking through our church's newest cookbook (of course) as well as other cookbooks I've collected over the years. I wonder if I should bake anything with coconut or just go with the standard snickerdoodle recipe?

Whatever I will bake, I am sure that I will be sampling each batter and my family will not want me to donate them to the cookie walk.

Ladies and Gentlemen: Start your ovens!

No comments: