Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sunday church services/Food

Today we had our special church services. Usually on this Sunday before Christmas our choir would sing a program called "Lessons in Carols." This year, our choir director, Dick B., left to take a pastorship position at a nearby Presbyterian Church. This left a void in our usual services and so an A Capella choir from Hesston, directed by a former PV member, Martha H., came instead.

Before the choir sang, Flute and I did our usual pre-Christmas skit trying to sell our cookbooks (which came out this past summer). Today, I wrote something quickly (because flute is our usual writer on this) and then we pretty much played off on each other. It was easy (see previous blog regarding Christmas shopping) to complain about the long lines and crowd and what to buy. The skit helped sell at least 3 books today and we are now down to at least 20 some books in our original 300 number. The book has done well. Vonnie R., helped a lot by sending the book to a cookbook reviewer and she has been shipping the book throughout Kansas. So thank you Vonnie and Flute for the effort you've done on this. And thanks to Joan W., for spurring us onward.
-------
The Children held their Christmas program. They sang "Away in a Manager," with hand movements. A tear slid down my cheek as I glanced over at S. I remember 10 or 11 years ago, she stood on that very stage with her little red velvet dress singing the song and the hand movements.
-------
Our Pastor is moving on to become a teacher and we held a carry-in/farewell dinner for him after the service. It is tough for us to see him leave and I know it was tough on them to leave us. I didn't realize that he had been there for nearly 6 years. I only remember having him for at least 3 or 4 years. But that's because we were attending another church when he was at PV.
-------
I always enjoy the carry-in dinners that we have at the church. I am always trying to guess who made what, etc. My favorite is when someone brings lasagna; noodles; fruit jello salad; and the bread. I just love potluck! Then the desserts are THE best. We had chocolate cake with a cream cheese frosting (at least the frosting wasn't sickening sweet) and whoever brings that chocolate pie (WOW!!!) Please do it again!! That has to be my favorite dessert of all time.

1 comment:

flute4peace said...

The skit was a hoot - you did a great job. And I know what you mean about the kids bringing back memories - it's that way for me, too, and mine are still little!