Tuesday, April 3, 2007

April Elections

I went to vote in my little town today and went to the normal place. I wondered if the election was even being held as there were no cars parked in front. Alas, I saw a friend's truck who I recognized and knew he was in there voting. There were more workers than voters. The election concerned voting for mayor, a representative in my district, and the ever popular school board decision.

I know of people who aren't even registered to vote, they have an opinion but for some reason they have never voted and so they are not in the habit of voting. I never can understand why they don't. I plead with them that if an issue is near and dear to their heart that they should register and vote. Voting priviledges should always be exercised. Now granted, some people cannot vote if they are in jail, but if you can then do.

Because of this apathy maybe this is why things are the way they are. If people would get out and vote their opinion maybe things would change. Maybe your vote would help a person get elected to a post and maybe that person would believe in the same ideals that you believe.

I remember when I was in college and I couldn't make up my mind what party (Democrat or Republican). So my friend told me that I should vote but I could register as an Independent, which I did. So I registered at my local library and even voted by absentee ballot that year. Of course I did make a decision to change my party from an Independent to another party that I won't mention, but I think if you read my bio you would know. :-)

I can remember the different ways I voted. Pencil and paper, coloring in an opening spot with a black marker, flipping down levers (in W town), and the latest touch screens at H town. Not all of the times has my candidate won, but many times they have.

So I try to encourage everyone to vote. So far it has fallen on deaf ears. I can bet though that "S" will be wanting to vote when she turns 18. She knows the importance of voting. :-)

No comments: