Tuesday, April 10, 2007

He's Staying!

With a title like this and all the college coaches/basketball players leaving, I'll bet you'll think this another post about that. Well, it's not.

Our cat is staying here. I had originally posted that the rental cat was leaving. I was all set to send him packing. I talked to our vet hoping there was some kind of "treatment" to give him and he said that it would alter his personality. Not that the cat's personality was great in the first place. So the only alternative was to have him go back to the original owners. I thought about it for a while and said, "I'm not sure how my kids will like that. I think they like him." I thought about life without him and the possibility of getting another cat from the shelter. In fact I had filled out an application and emailed it. Or so I thought I did. For some reason the email application turned up blank! So I think it is meant to be that we keep him.

This weekend the cat's behavior has been improving. We're trying a different approach with the cat. We are letting him come to us when he wants attention. Not us going to him. If he wags his tail we leave him alone. Also when he's awake we try to play with him more. He's a delight to watch when he is attacking my throw rugs in the kitchen or going after a little ball across the floor. He can be Mr. Friendly and pretty affectionate. But it's totally up to him when he wants to play Mr. Nice Kitty.

Everyone gets along with him fine. Even "L" who never did have a cat when growing up likes him. The cat is always sniffing the dog and the dog just lays on the floor and lets him. I couldn't see breaking in another cat and the next cat would have claws too.

So the cat is staying, sorry T and D. You can't have "SP" back. We've even changed his name to a KU player.

1 comment:

S♥ said...

Lol, yep, he's staying. Hopefully he stays nice!