Sunday, April 29, 2007

Clyde V. Cessna historical performance

Sunday I went to see an old friend portray Clyde V. Cessna at the little church in my town. We sat near the front row and whilst he was setting up, he turned around and smiled. He shook our hands and remembered us. Then he went into character and gave a historical performance about Clyde and how he got into airplanes. For a while there I almost thought he was Clyde! :-)

We knew "Clyde" and his wife "P" when we went to the church in "K" for a few years. They were one of the first couples whom we met and made a great impression on us. "P" taught both kids in Sunday School. She was one of the best Sunday School teacher's that "S" had. "Clyde" and "P" also knew one of "S's" teachers in our town so that was a help. "Clyde" could always give a great children story. He was always telling the kids something interesting. He is very well versed in his Bible as well.

So after Clyde and P left I said to the Historical Society President, who goes to our church, "Well didn't you know he's the same denomination as we are?" They didn't know. We told them our story and they said, "Oh so that's how you knew him." Yep...we came out to support Clyde. It's funny how these things about religion never comes up. I would think some would look at a last name and think, "You know that sounds like "M" denomination." And then just go ahead and ask him/them about it. You never know it might open some doors to communication.

Historical actors may be a new thing to some people. But when I was in college I had a prof who was excellent in portraying historical figures. He, of course, was my History advisor and head of the History department. You watch these performances and you start to remember how they act and start to remember some of the things they say during their talk. It's a great way to teach History.

No comments: