Spring/summer is officially here in H town for one day then the temperatures take a plunge the rest of the week. It is 85 degrees! Tulips in bloom, lilacs (one of my favorite flowering plants), and flowering pear trees. The grass, the dandelions, and all the glorious (not) weeds with purple flowers are blooming.
I dusted off the old 18 speed bike today, pumped up the tires, and took a spin around a couple of blocks before the wind pushed me from the south. I forgot how out of shape I was pedaling against the wind! Whew!
I can remember (yes, I actually can remember that far back!) when I was a senior in high school and my only transportation was my 10-speed boys bike. I didn't have a car when I went to my high school. I lived in another H town and the high school was about a mile away. My insurance rates (becuase of my rather un-stellar driving record) was too high for my parents to pay for. So instead of driving to high school in my car I rode the 10-speed. It was pretty much the "in" thing back then as the school even had a bike rack. I had my locking chain so my bike wouldn't be stolen and this was my transportation until I was a freshman in college. I was lucky that my high school was in town and not 5 miles away in the country.
S is anxious to take driver's education but has to wait a year or so because of her young age. It is scary to think that when she is a senior in high school she will be able to drive her car to school. She thinks it is exciting. I think it is scary as her high school is out 5 miles away from any town. So many accidents has plagued CHS. One in most recent memory were the 3 girls driving to A town and they were killed instantly in a car crash. It was the saddest thing ever!! They were only 15-16 years old! Maybe that's why I fear when "S" will be able to drive out there someday.
Maybe there should be stricter legislation to restrict certain drivers at either ages or times of day. I wonder if perhaps Driver's Education classes could be offer during the school year not just the summer. To me if it was offered during the year, students would be taught how to drive on icy, snowy roads. Whereas D. E. held in the summer, the student would be learning to drive on rainy to dry roads only.
Oh, btw, I still have my old "car" (10-speed) still with me after all these years. I see it everytime I go outside on my patio. It reminds me of my senior year in high school! :) Here's to safer times!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment