Sunday, July 1, 2007

Confessions of a Picky Eater Part 2

Previously I had stated that I was a picky eater...or probably still am.

I can remember when I stayed at home we didn't have as many fast-food restaurants as we do now. Sure we had McDonald's and I ate many a meal there as well as Sandy's (another hamburger place), Red Rooster (our version of KFC before there was KFC in H town), the Hub (a cafeteria in downtown H), Tastee-Freeze, Fairmonts, and a new place called Pizza Hut. Well, it was new to me because my parents didn't eat pizza much back then.

When I went to college the food was much worse. We had mystery meat days at college and most of the students went to the local pizza place in S town and up 8 miles in L town for Pizza Hut. I had a good friend who showed me what kinds of food I was missing. At one time I wouldn't eat french fries. I described how they tasted, "Cold and nasty." She looked at me and said, "You haven't had Burger King Fries." So we went there and she salted a few and they were hot and tasty. Not bad. Another time I wouldn't eat any fast food soft tacos. Same friend said I could order it the way I liked with meat and cheese only. So now I added another new food. And at one time I only liked plain hamburgers. A guy, whom I was dating, asked me if I liked cheese. I said, "Sure." So he said that cheeseburgers tasted better than hamburgers. He was right. I haven't had a plain hamburger since.

When I got out on my own I was determined to try Apple Pie. I liked apples so surely apple pie would be good. Again, I went to Burger King and sampled the Apple pie. It is very good especially when it is hot.

So this is why I tell everyone, "Oh I'm not picky like I used to be." And it's true, if you knew what I didn't eat before!

2 comments:

flute4peace said...

You're totally cracking me up! When I went to college I learned what an omelette and grits were, among other things.

MB said...

I never knew how to make an omelette! A friend of mine had to tell me over the phone how to make one. As I am allergic to eggs so naturally I didn't make omelettes! I just made lots for L when we were dating! :)