Sunday, July 15, 2007

My "Hometown" Wal-Mart

I was in "H" town yesterday shopping at the wal-mart store. On occassion, I do see people from my old high school and talk to them.

Depending who they are and what has happened in their lives. I underscore, depending. I am assuming that some people that do go do the store there recognize me but do not talk to me because we were not close or they don't recognize me. I am okay about that because maybe I feel the same way towards them.

I'll even talk to someone I've seen at my reunion. I may not talk long. I might say a quick "Hi," and smile. Again this is depending who they are.

One person whom I will always talk to is a guy named Robert. He has had some tough times going through his life. He was divorced, his father died a few years back and Robert had a stroke before he turned 40, the effects of it still remains. We weren't all that close in high school (at least I didn't think so). But whenever I see him at a reunion or in "wal-mart" we always talk. He tells me that he remembers me and that I was nice to him. I smile trying to remember what I said to him that has left a lasting impression on him. So whenever I see him anywhere I make it a point to talk to him. Catching up what is going on with him, etc. He is a nice Christian man.

Yesterday, however, I was walking in the lightbulb aisle. I was behind this one person and "knew" who he was. I have seen him at various places around town and for some reason he just gives me the creeps.

He didn't used to. In fact, when we were in second grade we were really good friends. Kids at school would call him "my boyfriend." (Roll eyes). He wasn't. He was just a good friend back then. I even saw him at W town when I was working with "Ma B." Even then some of the workers told me that "he's standing a little too close to me." Well, later on in the paper I read about some of the problems that he encountered, in fact he was fired over them. So this is why he gives me the creeps.

So I take a deep breath telling myself, "don't react, if he talks to me." I go right by him, not looking in his direction, pick up my bulbs and I hear "MB," softly....he recognizes me. I try not to react, I kept on going until I got to the end of the aisle. He's grinning at me. Sheesh! I wish that L was with me, because I would have handled it a little differently.

By this time, my family thinks I am nuts not saying anything to him. Then I explain why. They understood.

Now if this person hadn't have done something weird on his job, then I probably would have said hello. But bad press will ruin you big time.

No comments: