Friday, July 20, 2007

Next time maybe I'll do something different??

Today I was clearing out some clothes in my basement, stuff that no longer fit the kids. So instead of holding a garage sale I decided that I could ship these off to the local Econ shop. The Econ shop is like our version of a Salvation Army. I figured they could use the clothes plus I had several coats that I was donating.

So I put the clothes in several plastic bags. I could have put it in one big bag, if I didn't have a lifting problem. I put them in several as I could handle light loads. Then I got together some little toys (that we no longer needed) some books and a pair of kid tennis shoes.

I drive over there and start putting stuff in their little cart (with no help from the staff there or my kids who aren't there). Then I walk out to get a box of books and the volunteer says, "We don't need any more."

I was taken aback! I couldn't believe what I heard. Usually places like that would LOVE to get clothes and coats. So I said, "Well all I have is books." I had to place them down next to the other books. I was wiped out by then!

I guess the next time that I have clothes to rid out I won't take them here. I'll take them to another town who will appreciate everything that I donate. Either that or have that garage sale!

4 comments:

Scrapbook Granny said...

I had the same response from H town econ so I take to shop in W just off Central. Easy to get to and they do the unpacking of the car. Can't beat that. They also give a receipt that can go toward tax write off.
I would think that small town H shop would want anything that is good.
Granny B

MB said...

I guess I'll have to go to W town instead. Sounds like a better deal.

flute4peace said...

I think a garage sale sounds like a good idea. I'll come ;)

I think the e-shop just gets overwhelmed when they get too many donations. No excuse for being rude, though. That's not good in any situation.

MB said...

Maybe the e shop needs a little competion from PV. JK.