Friday, July 20, 2007

The Lost Art of Sewing/Quilting

I cannot sew that great. I can cross stitch, provided it's printed cross stitch.

It used to be that sewing, quilting, and knitting were passed down from mother to daughter for generations. Well, that ended with my mom. Sure she can sew, a little, as in making repairs in clothes (which is better than me). I took sewing in junior high and did miserably in it. I was an expert, though at ripping out stitches.

I can remember in grade school when my third grade teacher (she was a weird teacher and I didn't like her at all) when she asked if our mom's made our clothing. Most everyone said "yes" their mom's made their dresses. All except me. My mom store-bought my dresses. The teacher laughed and couldn't believe it. I hear stories where people are embarrased because their dresses were handmade, so my story was just the reverse of that.

I wish I knew how to quilt. I would love to make a quilt of all my t-shirts that I have accumulated over the years from different places. It would be a way to rememeber when I got that shirt and not have it in a plastic storage box.

If someone knew how to make a t-shirt quilt, I can imagine that they would make some good money.

If only I knew how to quilt!

2 comments:

flute4peace said...

As soon as K3 goes to preschool on Wednesdays, I'll be going to church on Wednesday mornings for sewing/quiling. Hope the ladies are still doing it by then! It is definitely a dying art and I want to learn at least a little bit of it.

MB said...

Even the oldest of ladies still do it and love it. I think it has something to do with the conversation and the coffee.