Monday, July 16, 2007

A Difficult Decision

I am currently making a decision about having surgery.

It's not life threatening if I don't have it done. But it would be best for my quality of life. I have written down why I should have it done and why I shouldn't. The pros to have it done has won out. However...here I am thinking do I really want to do it? Afterall, the surgeon gave me an option of either getting it done or not.

Here are the cons: I would be layed up for 6 weeks at least. I would ache from the incision(s). I could get out a little bit but doing any housework or work would be out of the question. I couldn't really travel any (although I will have travel back home after the surgery). I'd feel like a prisioner at home. As for my computer time that would be nearly out. I would have to get a notebook computer (rent one? Ha!) if I wanted to blog, search and or read. Well, at least I could play some DVD and watch the stuff that I have on my DVR.

Other reasons why I don't want it done is because I have been put out only twice in my life. I know, it's a flimsy excuse. But there is some fear in doing any kind of surgery.

My mom thinks I should get it done ASAP. Me, I'm thinking, well I have a toothache, sort of. School will be starting soon, then basketball season, then by the time I think the time is right it would be like a year from now. If then. I'm good at putting things off that I don't want to do.

Then I think about why I should have it done. It would cut down my cancer risk, quality of life would be a lot better (from what the surgeon said). It's a very common operation among women. (Even though my mom never went through it!) My sister-in-laws have and both at a younger age than what I am.

I guess I'm just waiting on that second opinion. I guess I'll make my decision by the end of the month.

Maybe.

No comments: