Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Birthday Week!

S and J are having their birthday this week, Friday. No we didn't plan for them to be on the same day, but I kind of like it like this. At first it took a while to like the idea.

S was due the middle of August but my doctor bumped up her delivery day (two weeks earlier) as I was low on amniotic fluid. She was supposed to be born on August 2nd. I had pitocin that night of August 2nd and it didn't work. So in the afternoon of August 3rd, labor commenced, thanks to the doctors. She was born in the evening.

J was due the last of July. He wasn't in any hurry to be born. Finally the doctor said that they would induce labor on, that's right, August 2nd. I can remember both of their births. But on his, I kept calling everyone on the phone telling them of my progress. I can remember my SIL calling me while I was in the middle of a push and my doctor telling her this. :) LOL! I kept checking the time. It was nearly midnight and I said, "So do you think he will be born on August 2nd?" The answer was, "No." So I went, "Great. So I'll have them both sharing a birthday."

Then the nurse said, "I think that would be neat. When one of them would be having presents so could the other. You could buy one cake and split it down the middle (I never did that!)."

Yes, it is unique to have them born on the same day. Twin birthdays, three years apart. It doesn't happen very often. They won't forget each others birthdays when they are older. Then they can trade stories to their families on how they celebrated birthdays.

I bake two separate cakes. (I used to buy the cakes, but they like the homemade box mix just fine). I have plenty of left over cake throughout August. Birthdays were interesting when they were younger. Singing happy birthday...instead of "Happy Birthday to you," it was "Happy Birthday to you two." My mom, likened it to Christmas in August with all the presents.

Now that they are older (a teen and a pre-teen) all they want is money. That's easy. They get their own presents and the celebrations have become quieter. I make their favorite foods during the week and we eat out at their favorite restaurant in W town.

But I'll always watch the tapes we did of their birthday and remember each of their two birthdays. :)

1 comment:

flute4peace said...

That's so cool! My Mom and her brother have the same birthday, one year apart. Hope they celebrate big and have a great birthday!