Thursday, September 27, 2007

Unstapled!

I was finally unstapled yesterday afternoon. YEA!! I can cough without impailing myself! I thought it was kind of interesting how the nurse did her work. She had a staple remover (not like the type used in schools, thankfully). She worked quickly and painlessly. I commented how I didn't need to be put out for that, but was grateful that I was for the actual stapling procedure itself. Now I am held up by little strips of tape (which hopefully won't come out for a week to two weeks). Gotta watch those hot showers!

Afterwards L and I went to Wal-Mart. I needed a few things but I didn't want to sit in the car waiting for him to find the groceries. So L parked in front while I walked up to the handicap motorized scooters. The associate at Wal-Mart showed me how to run it and I told him that I was a week out of surgery. I wondered if he wanted to see my taped incision?

So L followed me with the cart looking for various fruits, vegetables, breads, etc. I never knew how defensive of driver you have to be driving/riding a handicap cart. You have to watch out for carts darting out of the aisles, kids racing back and forth and people who block the lane. I now have a new found respect for these people who are "handicap" and straight out of surgery, or whatever their problem is. I got these looks like "Huh? She looks fine. She doesn't need to be riding/driving that." Anyway...I perceived that I was getting those thoughts/looks as I was motoring around. I saw other people on these carts. Granted they probably had like 20 plus years on me. Then I saw some standing up to get their item. I thought "Hey, no fair." But I had L to do my "grabbing" of items.

I really enjoyed that motorized cart. It came in handy in my recovery. Then when I got home I fell asleep for hours. Boy! That was a taxing day!
----

Today I walked around a little (slow) but I'm not training for a running race. I want so much to work around the house. Be it laundry, dumping the kitty litter box, or general cleaning. But I have at least 2-3 weeks more to be cleared to do those things.

I still have a "Battle Bruise," from the day after surgery. The guy who was was trying to drill from one my little veins in my right arm to get blood gave it to me. Wonderful. It still has a black look to it after a week!

Meanwhile, I have to have my "special" diet of apples, wheat bread, water, grahams. Oh what fun! But maybe, I'll lose some weight, who knows? :)

1 comment:

flute4peace said...

Hey, I'm back!! I haven't been on any blogs for quite a while (including my own). But that's my problem. I'm so glad to hear you're through the rough part and on the way to healing. I'm really nervous/scared about my own surgery coming up. I really need to make that appt for further discussion with the doctor but I think I'm putting it off out of fear. At any rate, please know that even though I wasn't here, my prayers were with you daily. I'm glad it's over for you. *shudder* at the thought of staples.