Once again, as it is and has always been since S was a kindergarten student, Red Wheel Fundraising (not a shameless plug) is in the backpack of my second child who is in middle school student.
I knew it was coming up and I don't look forward to it. The school is ALWAYS using this particular company to muster out some funds. They tantalize the kids in selling a lot of products and in turn they get these fabulous prizes!! WOW! What a bargain! Not. Even A school uses this particular company in getting funds for their school.
The prizes that they offer the kids are pretty worthless. It depends on how much you sell. For example, this year, if you sell between one to nine items you could get a linking twist pen. Not much for all the work you do trying to get people to buy items. If you were a "master salesman" and sell 90--99 items then you could get your choice of scooter, microscope AND telescope, and/or a speed stack game with timer, mat and DVD! WOW!! What prestige! Again, not. The kids are all hyped "thinking" that they could actually sell 90 items.
The items are varieties of cookie dough, muffins, brownies, bread, coffee cake, pizza, pies, burritos, egg rolls, cheesecake, and mini tacos. Great, huh? But check out the prices they are between $10--14 a piece. Pretty pricey stuff for the fattening food.
When S was in grade school we had trouble getting enough sales. I would buy at least a couple of stuff, my mom, one or two items, and the in laws, at least one. When she was young she wanted to sell a lot because that would be an "honor." Well, we learned it wasn't. We no longer support RW fundraising at all. We need to save our money for other things.
When I was on this particular organization at school I didn't want to rock the boat and disagree that we should be doing this. It's a Tradition to sell RW, I figured that they would tell me. I think that this particular organization at school needs to break tradition and sell something more useful. Who knows they may get MORE contributions.
But until then I'll probably get kids knocking on my door for this "stuff," even though I have a child in the same school. Guess I won't be answering my door during this time of year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree, I always dread this fundraiser! First of all, the stuff is way overpriced. And can you say "saturated market"??? K2 was trying to think of people who might want to buy some. There was no one who wasn't already a parent, grandparent or relative of other students. We usually buy a tub or two and call it good.
Post a Comment