Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Inflation comes to Harper

Today I was in my local little WDYF store again. This time I was there to pick up three items: Carpet Cleaner, Miracle Whip, and the A town paper. I quickly noted the price and kind of figured a total in my head.

The clerk, who has been working there for at least three weeks (and no it wasn't Jordan or Betty), scanned in my three items and said, "That'll be $15.24."

My eyes went BIG! WHAT?? Surely my math skills aren't that bad!! Did I read the prices wrong? Was this unit pricing?? I said to her, "Are you sure?" She keyed in the items again and hit the total button. This time she said, "$6.24."

That was more like it! Always argue, but in a polite way, with the clerk if you don't agree upon the total.

Checking the ticket she had charged me $9.41 for the A-town paper!! The paper is only 94 cents (they usually round it up to a $1). Hopefully the editor from that paper wouldn't get any money making ideas to raise his subscription price to that high a week!!

In these times of inflation you have to watch what you are charged at the store or on a credit card, etc. If the clerk is in error, you need to be aware of the oversight. After all it is YOUR money.

1 comment:

flute4peace said...

You know, the way the prices are rising at that place, it won't be long until the first figure is accurate. Even Dollar General is now $1.25.