I just went to my other email and noticed that my reunion (you fill in the number of years I've been out) from High School will be held in October.
Traditionally we have had reunions in July at a fancy country club up north of Hutch. This year, I don't know what the problem was, but they scheduled it around the Hutch High Homecoming game in October. Whoopee...not! They went down the plan about a tailgating party and to meet at Gowans. Again, I was less than thrilled. The next day people would do their own thing about "discovering Hutch." Then at night they are meeting at a bar!! Who really cares?? I sure don't.
When they mentioned the bar thing I pictured people drinking and getting drunk. I remember that our reunion committee put out a book in either 1983 or 1993 and in it the "popular" kids (that is some of them) bragged about the time they first drank beer and hard liquor and were actually proud of this. There were pictures of kids (in the reunion book) in my class looking like they were trying to have a "good time."
I was one of the abstainers. Sure I knew of people who drank, close friends too, but for me it wasn't an option. I had no desire of doing this at all. I was "square." I was nerdy too and not popular.
It's too bad that the organizers of my HS class couldn't come up with some creative ways to have a reunion. They could have had a dinner and had categories that asked questions: Person who has the youngest children, or most grandchildren, or oldest grandchildren; topics like that. That would be, in my opinion, a FUN reunion. But drinking is a real turn off for me.
So no Thirty (something) reunion for me for the HS. It was a big school and I'm not that connected to people there.
It is also my Thirtieth reunion for my college too. They do things right there. Last time I was there we had a meal and talked among each other. It was good. No drinking at that one.
Of course, not, it's Sterling College (a Christian college). I didn't have anyone from HS class attend there. I just heard a beat of a different drum. It was hardly a party school. Sure, I knew people who drank and who smoked (across the street, off campus) but it wasn't the majority of students like the HS.
I enjoyed Sterling and meeting people from all over Kansas and the country. Profs really cared about their students. It was a big family atmosphere back then. I met some of the best people out there and they are still my friends.
I can't say the same about HS though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I don't go to my high school class reunions either.
Ugh, that's pretty disgusting! You'd think they would have grown up by now, huh! Pretty sad. I didn't drink in HS, either - never have, actually. At the time it was hurtful not to be invited to any of the parties, but now I'm very thankful for it.
Post a Comment