Friday, September 12, 2008

Part 2 Everybody...STOP Praying for Rain!

A few years back we went to another church and every Sunday they would get up and pray for rain. Then the rains would come and would be soaking ones right into flooding roads. I wonder if KMC prayed for rain this time. If they did, stop it!

Our elementary school is typically besieged by rain. We have our school in an apparent low lying area. The school officials are always laying out the sandbags around the school. Well today was a little different when take J to school. I went down my "normal" way and the water was overflowing on this one street and the teachers were parking on higher ground. That was a sure sign things were bad. I went around where I normally drop him off only to see the head of building maintenance (our friend Jerry G.) blocking the road and directing traffic into the playground area. "Oh no," I thought to myself this isn't good. I was in line to leave the school behind the buses. J got out and said, "This is ridiculous." I agreed. Why school wasn't cancelled I'll never know.

The school is surrounded by water, much like a moat around a castle. Then I saw my friend Nancy M. (who is a para) out in her rain gear with her umbrella helping the little kids out of the cars and showing them which direction to take. I drove out of the school area and back up to the highway. It was flooded too. I drove out by our WIFS and water was coming over the highway. I would see cars not slowing down and just plowing into the water.

I recalled in my mind when I lived in Wichita and I did this. It floods your brakes out and I sure wouldn't do this ever again. As I remembered water in Wichita was up to my door and I "cruised" through an intersection as I had no brakes. It was scary.

So this time I drove slow and got to my destination...church. I walked through and found the usually leakage in the basement (sorry Pam G.) and did what usually do. Walked through the rest of the church and found another spot...it will be interesting to see if that gets any worse.

I stocked up on my breakfast items and am thinking about baking cookies and writing. I keep hearing the constant flow of water coming from my ceiling in the laundry room. We have a new leak too, it is leaking in our light out there as well.

OH I wish the rain would quit already!! Stop praying for rain and pray for dry sunny days (not hot ones though) so we can fix our damage. Then we will get to look forward to winter with its icy cold rains and maybe even MORE damage. I just need a prayer that we can fix this with minimum amount of dollars, nothing like having budget problems!!
----
Flute, I hope that you are getting pictures of the flood of 08! It's a doozey!

No comments: