Today I made Pumpkin Cookies for the first time today. I had never made them, let alone ate them. After seeing a post made by one of my "Facebook" friends, (Kay), she was commenting about her Pumpkin Cookies. So I checked online and through the old church cookbook and found a good recipe.
Yesterday at the store in Wichita, I was checking to see the price of grated orange peel. I couldn't believe how much a little jar like that cost!! Unreal. It was $8.99!! That was the price for Archer Farms (Target brand) and even more at Dillons "Spice Islands," wanted like $11.00 for that spice! Sheesh! Wouldn't it be easier to just buy an orange, wash it throughly clean, and scrape a teaspoon of orange peel off than to buy it in a jar? So I opted not to use that particular spice. It really didn't make much of a difference. The cookies were great!! A big hit around here. Now I wished that I would have put that recipe in the NEW church cookboook. Oh well, just wait a few years and we will be putting out another new cookbook sometime down the line!
-----
S has been dealing with a leaf project at school. I have limited resources on looking up what kind of leaf I am pulling/snipping from a tree. I have an old tree golden book that my mom bought back in the 50's or early 60's. I help S try to match up what I have pulled with the picture in the book. It's not easy knowing what every tree is around here. Sure, the osage orange ones are easy to find (you know the one with the green bumpy "apple balls," that you wouldn't dare eat!). But when it comes to different species of oak trees, it's hard to say what type they are.
After visiting Lowe's and looking in their garden department, I was 100% certain that Flute's tree is indeed a spruce one. This morning we took a little sprig off that tree and just as soon as I did a white truck came by with fireman tags. I thought it was the "tree police," coming after me! No it wasn't J, probably a friend of J. So Flute thanks for the piece of tree! :)
On the same subject of trees, we have two ornamental pear trees in our back. The one in the corner I referred to as "Grover." S told me for the longest time she thought that was the brand name of the pear tree. Actually it is a Cleveland pear and I gave it the name of Grover. Get it? Grover "Cleveland" Alexander (a baseball pitcher) or ( Grover Cleveland, the President). Ah, it worked for them when they were young. I handed her a leaf and said "This one's from Grover."
She didn't think I was funny anymore! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
About leaves: Ask Roger Masenthin how to get to the tree arboretum that is east of Kingman. All the trees are marked and you will have plenty to choose from. It was a project he worked on a number of years back. It's not really a public place but I think if you call someone (he will know who or if you even can anymore) than you should be able to go in.
Now about orange peel: I remember when I found out that orange and lemon peel are very expensive plus you don't use them that often to make it worth it and it goes bad or flat so to speak. So I always just grate a little off of a lemon or orange just like you thought. I had the guy who ran The Spice Merchant in Wichita tell me the same thing.
Post a Comment