Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Updates

In my last blog I was talking about the horse pills vs. the calcium chews. S thought they smelled weird. So I opened one of these calcium chews, it's milk chocolate. It smelled pretty good. So I took a bite. It reminds me of a very sticky tootsie roll. You have to chew and chew, but I liked it compared to taking a horse pill. I take one in the evening and one in the morning in order to get my dosage of calcium. One of these containers will last me 30 days. It just seems like an easy way to take calcium than to choke down a pill.
-----
I made a short appearance at work. I needed to get a few things done and I got them done quickly. I don't like to work when there are a lot of people at the church. So on Wednesdays I usually don't work over there at all. But I was taking some time off (tire needing fixed/doctor's appointment) over there. Now, over at home I have been putting a cemetery project together. Once I get this done (which won't be any time soon), then I'll put the notebooks in the library. This will help those who are searching for relatives in our cemetery find their loved ones obituaries and a picture of their headstone. This will be a real help for those who want to know who were the people who attended PV and who they are related to. Anyway...this is what I think. I am into genealogy and this genealogy/history project is something that I think is needed. The previous historian had a few obituaries in a book, but not that extensive. I always like reading how certain obituaries were written up, some writers using terms as "passed away" and others describing someone "dropping dead." Some children dying in 1918 because of the influenza outbreak that year are mentioned. Keeping some of these past stories makes history interesting in my opinion. Okay, I'm off my soap box now.
-----
Over in my email I get emails from those people who still don't know what political party I belong to. I don't want to read their spin on their candidates. I know who I like and who I think would make a better President.
-----
My high school reunion is this Friday in my old hometown. It has been 30 plus years out of there. The high school is having a homecoming parade and people in my class will be there in the parade. Then later they are going to a "bar" for their reunion. Wonderful. I am so glad that I am missing this! I made great friends and lifelong friends at Sterling College. Now, if there is a reunion there (and there should be one during our homecoming next week) then I want to be there. A few years back there was a summer reunion there and it was really nice seeing those who made it come back. We got to see the new and improved Cooper Hall and the pictures on the wall. My picture was there with other education students taken back in 1977. Those were the days!
-----
The end of the first 9 weeks is here. I can tell, J finally got it together on his reading. He told me someone in his class put their goal for AR points at 25 and they hadn't read anything yet! At least J attained his goal with A LOT of encouragement (aka nagging) every night from me. I just don't get why he doesn't get it over with, but at least he's not like that kid in his class, thankfully!
----
Next week we are looking forward to seeing S and J's teachers. It used to be (when I went to school) we had to wait until the end of the nine weeks to see report cards. Now, thanks to PowerSchool, we as parents can look at the grades on the computer anytime of day. I really like this, as a parent. Now, if I was a student and I was lazy I'm not so sure I'd like this. But it gets parents to talk to their kids (if they are interested in their children's education) on what project worked and what happened in this or that assignment.

Also next week we are looking forward to Late Night in Lawrence. We are hoping that we get a good position in line and be able to see the new team. This will be our first Late Night! We just can't wait!!

No comments: