Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The True Cost of School

It is higher than you expect. The first of the year, you have enrollment fees and books. Usually totaling up to $45 or more. Then oh yes, add on monthly meals, for another $38.

Then comes the fundraisers depending how much you buy or don't buy. If you are in high school and a sophomore you have to buy a class ring, purchase magazines, and pay money to buy sweat shirts, testing fees for educational tests, and what ever else will come up. Then of course, you have to pay for fall and spring pictures, again depending how much you purchase (in flute's case, she wouldn't have to pay for only one portrait, for each kid, if that!) At least flute can do her own pics. Then of course there are team photos you have to purchase (if your kids on a sports team).

If your daughter or son are so lucky to go to prom, then you have to purchase a dress, shoes, (or in the boy's case, a suit/tux and corsage (do they do this anymore?). If you have a girl, have their hair done a certain way is another expense. (This is what happens during junior high graduation too...only for the girl of course, unless you have a fastidious son, which I'll be lucky if he'll comb his hair by then and wear something other than KU sports shirts).

Yes, there is a true cost of school and just paying enrollment fees is just a small tip of the huge iceberg.

1 comment:

flute4peace said...

Hee hee, yes I do my own school pictures. K2 brought home the paper yesterday and I was so happy I didn't have to think about what I wanted or pick a package.

And I hear ya on the other fees. It never ends.