Saturday, May 24, 2008

Being Prepared

I was planning on entitling this post as "I am all ready," however when it comes to bad weather I am never ready!

Today I finally got a little lantern at Wally World and 8 batteries for my radio. Usually when it comes to tornado weather we are pretty unprepared. A few years back, I think it was four years ago, we had many tornados come through our county. It was almost a way of life. We would hear the sirens; go downstairs and hide under a mattress listening to the TV until the power or the satellite would go out. Then we would listen to KFDI, for the best weather coverage on the radio. We had only one flashlight between the four of us. One time we used one of S's electric project from 5th grade (it was a house with a battery light) to shed some light while our electricity was out. Then I would read a real "dull" book to them so they would get their minds off of the storm. It worked on them, but not so much on me. I am not a big fan of bad weather!!

So now I am somewhat prepared. The place where we used to hide is now my bedroom. I have cleared a place under the stairwell or if we had to we could hide in the southwest corner of the basement. We still have the mattress that we can throw over on us. Now I am just worried about Sasha and Mario. Sasha could come downstairs with us in his cat carrier and Maro, well he could come downstairs too...maybe. I haven't got that all worked out yet.

Guess I am not "all ready" but I'm getting there. I just hate tornados and hail this is NOT my favorite time of year!

No comments: