Do you remember watching "Back to the Future part 3," when someone asked Doc Brown and Marty McFly "Is this a hold-up?" Doc Brown said, "No it's a science experiment!" I just loved that line!
This reminds me of my clean-up jobs that I do at the church. Today I "picked" as my project to do today was the MYF fridge. Now I realized I had gone past this frozen white box before and had actually seen what kind of "shape" it was in. It wasn't good. I put the rubber gloves on, found some baking soda and a dish of hot water along with a rag and scrubbed it down. Syrupy pop was all long in the inside. That wasn't too disgusting. What I found disgusting (or the science experiment part) was how long was too long to keep food in the fridge. I check and found moldy blue cheese; blue/black cool whip; pickles that were at least 2-3 years old; watery ketchup; and some things that had expiration dates of 2001; and some didn't have expiration dates on them. That was scary! There wasn't a lot salvagable. There was some mayo in a plastic jar that had split. Sorry Brad S., if you were doing an experiment in the fridge it's gone!
Since I've cleaned the fridge, it looks really great. Really empty but really great! :) The MYF will have to start filling it up with "new" food and check the dates to see when the food dies and needs to be tossed.
Then up in the freezer part there was a bunch of frozen hotdogs. The expiration date was use by 2006!! That's 2 years old!! So I did some checking on how long does food keep in the fridge and the results were this: Hotdogs in the freezer unopened last 1--2 months!! NOT 2 years!!
There was microwave popcorn that had a 2001 and 2002 expiration date as well. The microwave popcorn bags do not last that long!
After disposing of these "experiments" I went back in the upstairs kitchen. There was some bread in a plastic bag. GROSS!! Gross to me. However, if you enjoy science experiments, this was a perfect example of mold!! The bread had been untouched in 5 days. I wished I would have had tongs to keep it as far away from me as possible!
Back home I'm looking at my fridge wondering if I have some "experiments" in my food storage!!?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow, you've been busy! I'm a bad blogger and a bad blog reader, sorry.
LOL about the fridge!!
Post a Comment