Monday, May 19, 2008

Please pray for my friend MK!

I got an email today from my friend Becky (Bob's sister) and she wrote to about MK. Becky thought she would drive over to see MK as she had wondered where she was living. She found out that she was now living in St. John, KS.

My friend, MK, was a friend from my college days at Sterling. She was really fun-loving and very crazy! We would argue on how my first name should be pronounced (we have the same first name, different pronunciation. The pronunication that makes me shudder!!) So I told her since I was older than her by 2 months, mine was correct. My other friend LR (at the time) once pulled a prank on her. It was early in the morning and LR newspapered her door shut. Then on the outside of that place a pyramid of popcans up. Then we would knock on her door and tell her that she had a phone call. LR and I would race up to the other floor (the parlor) and could watch the action from a distance. MK opened her door and ripped open the door half way and then kicked her way out, thus knocking over the popcans. It made such a racket!! Other girls who were sleeping late were groaning and said, "SHUT UP!!"

LR and I were cracking up so badly! It was funny! We were a couple of young twenty-somethings.

MK was a wonderful singer too. I always thought that she looked like a young version of Liza Minelli. She was a very strong Christian as well. Much stronger than I was back then.

She graduated a year after I did. Then I didn't hear or see her until sometimes in the early 80's in Wichita. She had just gotten married (way before I did). She lived in what I would call the slums there. But she seemed happy.

Then I heard that her husband died I think by suicide and she found him. That was the beginning of the end for her as well.

I didn't hear from her or any news about her until 2001 when she was singing at a festival in Great Bend. I saw her picture on the web and she looked great.

Then about a year ago Becky and I were talking about Sterling and Hutch (since we both went to school at both places). She knew MK and told me what happened to her.

MK had gone downhill. She was staying in a nursing home in Great Bend. She told me there was something chemically wrong in her brain. It all stemmed from the shock of finding her husband dead. So today, Becky tells me that MK is living at a nursing home in St. John, just south of Great Bend. It seems that she had a staph infection and was moved to one town and then out nearer to her parents. She hasn't been mobile for quite a while. So I am assuming she is either bedfast or in a wheelchair. She is on oxygen as well.

Becky said that she sung a couple of songs for MK as it was her birthday. She is the same age as me. Fifty-three years old and living in a nursing home!! It is heart breaking to hear what this girl has gone through! Please pray for her that God will give her strength, that she is still strong in the Lord and pray for her health to greatly improve.

2 comments:

flute4peace said...

Oh, that's so sad! I will pray for MK!!

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear about MK. I appreciate your periodic postings about Sterling, as your sources of information are different than mine, and thus encompass different people.

Susan sends her best.