Thursday, May 1, 2008

Ahh...modern conveniences!

Recently I picked up a 4 bottles of a Vintage Coke bottle design. I bought it for the design of the bottle and J thinks we should just go ahead and drink them. Then after that I can put them on my "special" shelf. I am thinking we will drink just two. He looks at the bottles and asked, "So how do you open them up?" In this day and age, kids are use to the twist off bottle lids. Remember the scene in "Back to the Future" when Marty is back in 1955 trying to pry open the bottle and George simply puts it into the machine and uses the machine-factory bottle opener?


So I attempt to explain to J how bottles like this can be opened. I say, "You know those things that pry open a paint can? Well, it has a triangle shape to it and you can open it with that." He sort of understood, sort of. So I ran onto this article from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchkey


Church key!? If I called a bottle opener a Church key they would be really confused! But the article explains why it is called this.

What would we do without microwaves? You can defrost, bake, cook, just about everything and anything you would do with an oven. I can remember when we didn't have microwaves. Things would take forever!! You would pre-heat an oven and a TV dinner would take at least 45 minutes. Now a TV dinner can be done in less than 10 minutes!! No more defrosting meat on the countertop. No more Jiffy Pop Popcorn on the oven (that is unless you like it that way).

Pull off can tops is another small convenience. I'm showing my age here, but I can remember when those little pudding cups had a ring type, zip back lid. My fingers remember getting cut on these sharp things. Now soup, beefaroni, and fruit have these zippy lids. Whereas, Pringles, used to have them, they now have a paper pull back lid...so much easier!

No comments: