Friday, May 2, 2008

Kansas Weather

The Windy City. This may be Chicago's nickname, but today Harper is the windy city. I walked out the back of the church today to dump my trash and on the way back it was tough getting back in!! My thoughts drifted back to when "The Flying Nun," was on. If only I had a hat like that I could have took off flying!! Brutal winds after such a great afternoon yesterday. I had a thought about mowing today, just a thought, but realize all of that nasty stuff (dirt, leaves, tree seeds, weeds, and whatever else) would be flying into my face and my nose. No, I can wait another day for this "dirty" stuff passes.

We just put up a shed (not completed quite yet) in the backyard. Those pieces of aluminum (or metal) is really flimsy! When I was carrying the pieces to the worksite I would flip it back and forth. It sounded like a sound effect for thunder. It makes me wonder if we get gusts of more than 50 mph or even a hail storm what the weather will do to this shed. I hope that we have great insurance. I'll probably "freak" out if hail is more than merely pea sized. Talk about the dents!! I just hope that we don't get into really bad weather in the weeks/years to come. That shed will fold up like a piece of tin foil!

Sunday is the anniversary of the Greensburg Tornado. I heard the stories about what those folks went through during that time. WOW!! You would think being a lifelong Kansan that I would be used to this. I'm not. That would REALLY scare me. I think about how prepared we would be, or if we would have a safe room downstairs. I am thankful that we have a basement. But what about those living in mobile homes?? What about the ones who don't have a basement? What do they do? Before moving to this house, we didn't have a basement. I remember many of times we would lock our dog up in a bathroom and go to the church just waiting out a storm. That was the year of the Andover Tornado.

Tornados may be a way of life out here in Kansas but I am still shocked hearing the stories of Greensburg, Kansas.

1 comment:

flute4peace said...

Ugh, it's AWFUL today! And probably going to be awful tomorrow, too, while we're on the soccer and baseball fields. It seems like we've really had it bad with the wind this year. Blech.

I remember being really impacted by the Hesston tornado in 1990. I'll never forget it. Greensburg is the same way for a lot of folks around here. There is a new book in the library about it - I thumbed through it a little bit Wednesday night and it looks really good. (but don't read it in the evening or you'll have nightmares)