This semester S is taking Home Economics. In the first 9 weeks she sewed a pot holder and then made some pajama pants. Of course, the material for the pants were KU print. We had been shopping in Wal-Mart and eyed that particular print for several months. We thought about making a pillow (another one!) but when this project came up she immediately jumped on it. There wasn't much left on the roll. She was short a yard or so. We brought the material up to the clerk and she immediately said (without us telling her). "Pajama pants?" We nodded she measured the material and said, "This will probably be enough." Those people who work in the sewing department there at Wal-Mart must know something about sewing because it was enough. I could never work there at that department. My sewing expertise is limited to none.
So S used the machine at school and finished the project. The teacher helped a little and she got a B. The teacher said the seems weren't straight. I looked at them and I couldn't tell the difference. It looked really great but then again, I'm not a sewing teacher!
This nine weeks S is now cooking in that class. She is picking up some interesting recipes from class. If only I had these recipes BEFORE we went to press on the church cookbook. She now knows how to make English Muffin Pizza and informed me that this was way better than the Pita Pizza we used to make. I have tried these little mini pizza and they are delicious and they are pretty good, not near as messy as the pita pizzas. Then she and her cooking partner made Chocolate Chip Muffins. Most of the class just made blueberry muffins. Today, she and her partner are making biscuits. But not your ordinary baking powder biscuits. Nope. These will have cheese in them. S would prefer to cook more in that class.
When I took cooking class back in the dark ages we cooked ALOT!! Some of the stuff I didn't like such as the breaded pork chops. Our teacher would ask, "We're they good?" We would fake it out and say, "Oh, yeah, we cleaned up our plates too." Yeah, right. We flushed them down the disposal. The thing that I didn't like was cleaning up. Neither did the rest of the class. I remember one table of girls who wouldn't dry their pans and the teacher caught them not doing this, uh oh! Then another girl (my best friend back then), poured liquid soap on top of the faucet so when the handle would lift up suds would come out. It was funny! I still remember this. Oh and don't get any ideas doing this at church!
I wonder if S has any stories such as these? S should consider taking an advanced course in cooking. Maybe the teacher would let them cook even more. Most of the time home economics isn't just about cooking or sewing, they throw other stuff in about relationships, etc. Why can't they just do all cooking? It would be so much fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment