Sunday, May 6, 2007

Church in the Basement

Well, this time the storms hit a little too close to home! While we were getting settled in the sanctuary we were told by "flute" that the tornado sirens were going off in town. Our church is like a mile out of town. So everyone was told to go to the basement. I wasn't scared our basement was the place to be.

So all the men and boys of the church got the folding chairs out and we all had church in the basement. We had songs of praise and sang a cappella. Our final song was "Father Abraham," as lead by one of children of the church. I think that song kept us "loose" and calm, we all shared a smile and a laugh over that.

Then we went on with church. But while our Pastor was talking I noticed a family bring down a bunch of towels and little plastic buckets. I thought, "Hmmm...what's up with that?" Then I saw what was up with that...water streaked down the walls into the basement. I couldn't figure out where this was...it was in the bell tower. It was raining that much! I had to get my mind on the sermon, that wasn't easy.

It was a nice "close" congreagational worship time. I really felt the presence of the Lord. We didn't sit in our usual spots upstairs in the sanctuary. I think that was good for us.

Now sitting on the computer at home, I hear thunder and we are in a flash flood warning. Sandbagging is probably going on at our school and it should be going on at church.

I hope that a rainbow comes out soon...that would really give me hope that things will be better.

Otherwise, I'll be sitting downstairs, collecting my pictures and getting my place ready to hide under a mattress. Don't you just love Kansas?! I like it except during tornado season.

By the way, I HATE tornadoes!

1 comment:

S♥ said...

Yeah me too =[ Tornadoes are icky. Wonderful Kansas weather..not.