Monday, May 21, 2007

Class of 2007!!

Ahhhhh!! Graduation at the junior high was tonight. It was a very special occassion! (I will have to get a picture of S on here).

We got there, what I thought was early enough, but apparently other people got there at least at 6:30. Camera's on tripods were set up, programs were layed on chairs so no one could sit there until the designated party arrived. L's parents were there early and so they sat far away from us. We sat on the aisle so we could get a picture of the graduates as they passed by. Before the ceremonies we looked at the pretty cakes, silver plaques with the grads name and date, and pictures on the wall of the graduate.

We settled in our seats and the lights begin to dim until it was nearly dark at 7:30. The power point presentation with the kids pictures flashed upon a screen on stage. The song, "If Everyone Cared," by Nickelback played in the background. Then the students walked in, rather quickly. I would have at least thought they could walk s-l-o-w-e-r but instead of walking slowly (like for a wedding) they were trucking down the aisle as if they were in a hurry. After the powerpoint presentaion, the class started singing "Life is a Highway."

The STUCO president spoke rather quickly and then the awards for the year started. S got to stand up a lot. Going to school in the H town for 8 years was a very good experience for her. She was hoping that she would have gotten the citizenship award, but another person got it. It went to a boy and a girl.

It gave me goose bumps when S's full name was called. I heard a few unique names (S has a unique middle name) and plenty of common middle names of "Marie."

After the grads got their diplomas, balloon were released and the boys pulled air horns out of their pockets sounding them off loudly. We got some cake and punch and talked with everyone snapping shots of friends and the principal; talking with family and grandparents. We stayed as long as S wanted to stay. We talked with the 7th grade parents and realize their time will be next year. It was a grand time!

And no I didn't cry! Can you believe it? Just wait until 11...I might cry then! :)

2 comments:

flute4peace said...

Wow, I didn't realize that jr. high graduation was such a big deal here. Did you get "s" a special dress? I'd love to see a picture!

MB said...

We got the dress in Topeka and someone in town did her hair. Now I need to get L to put the pic on my blog or I'll show you at church.