Today is field day for the elementary school here. It was supposed to be held last weeek, but because of the rain soaked fields it was postponed until today. Today, the fields weren't so wet but there was dew and plenty of mosquitos to go around!
Armed with my Off Spray I only noticed one other person carrying it around. He said that he already used a half of can of the stuff...they were that thick!
"S" will be helping in the afternoon session.
"J" got to participate this morning. He did the softball throw. He competed against the boys who are in baseball so he got last place. Although, he didn't throw it too shabby. Another boy in his flight threw wildly! I stepped back a few paces when he threw...scary! Then "J" got second in the sack race and he was fourth in the short run. I noticed in the short run he let up just before he crossed the finishing line, if he would have kept on going he might have gotten third place.
I can remember back when I was 12 our school held it's first field day and I LOVED to run! Absolutely loved it! And I was quick back then too. So I did a relay race and our team got first and then I was in the short run. I practiced, and practiced and was picked to win that race. So when I was running the race I saw the string at the end and let up on my speed, slowing down...I was afraid of hitting it. We didn't practice with the tape and so I ended up getting 4th out of 6 people...duh! If I just would have kept going I might have won the race.
Whilst waiting on my son to run I overheard the kids in his class talk. One boy's older sister (who's a sophomore or junior in college) was there. He shouted, "A" come over here." She was busy talking and a boy in his class (mind you we are dealing with 4th graders here) says, "Is that your sister? WOW she's HOT!" This from a 4th grader!! I was shocked. I don't think my son is that advanced in his thinking. Then other boys looked over there and said, "Yeah, she's like a movie star pretty." And another 4th grade girl said, "She IS beautiful." Meanwhile the boy's sister said, "Guys, she's just my sister, quit saying that." Then he turned to the other boy who said she was "Hot" and says, "She's way out of your league, she's in college!" (LOL!!)
I've noticed that most of the kids are popular if they are athletic. J is not so athletic, he's more academically gifted than athletic. So he was hanging out with his "nerdy" friends. His friend B is pretty smart too (on the gifted side) and a little athletic. But it's too bad that people can't celebrate "braininess" as much as they do for athleticism.
I'm hoping someday that J will improve in his basketball skills, keep being smart, and maybe someday he'll be popular too. I just hope that he doesn't let things like that get in his way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Popularity is weird..I try not to pay attention to it. 4th grade boys can be strange sometimes too, lol! But ya know, they're boys I guess..not as weird as the 8th grade boys though! Field day interesting.
Post a Comment