Sunday, June 24, 2007

Internet Discretion

As most people know (anyway around church) I run the website for my church. I put on prayer concerns, news about the church, and general knowledge items.

I use discretion as much as possible. I do not put down when and where a person is going on vacation; the church's budget information or how many went to church the previous Sunday. If there is someone in a bad situation, I don't put their location just to broadcast it. No. I am pretty sure I put down what is needed and what is not needed on the prayer concerns.

One particular individual has came up to me several times not to give details about their situation. I think she must think prayer concerns is equal to a gossip page. It is not. I add information about people who need prayer. Even I have concerns regarding my family and I don't broadcast it over the Internet. What makes her think that I would do that to her or anyone?

I appreciate the people who have not griped at me. I guess they trust me. That's a nice vote of confidence. Unfortunately this individual who has to tell me not to do something doesn't know me very well or they have a general distrust in people. I do have morals and I won't divulge any information that I feel would be an invasion of privacy. Remember I work for a church and I'm not that type of person who would broadcast every little detail about someone over the Internet.

It starts with faith and trust.

No comments: