It is great to get at least 8 hours of sleep in without any "incidents," just sleeping straight through the night. We are finally recovering from the flu in our household. I am still a little germaphobic and I'll still wash my hands frequently but that's just good common sense practice for this time of year.
We might have an abbreviated version of Thanksgiving. Last year, we were at KU the day before Turkey day. Then on the way back from the game we got our traditional (or non-traditional) slice of apple pie at a drive-through at Burger King. I remember stopping at Cracker Barrel in Topeka for a meal on the way home. We will probably have a bigger meal at Christmas with family.
When I think of Christmas, I think of one time when J was about a year or so. He cried and cried. It was Christmas and here he was crying! You know the old saying, "There's no crying at Christmas (taken from "There's no crying in baseball," League of their own quote). We showed him his toys and then felt his forehead the poor little guy had the flu. It is a Christmas we have never forgotten. (We have it on tape!).
I can remember Thanksgivings with my family when I was younger. Sitting around the brown table with our special decorations. Usually a paper turkey or a picture of the pilgrims gathering around. I remember mom's special dressing and how I would just eat dressing and no turkey. How sick I felt afterwards because I over ate and blaming it on all the onions in the dressing. The only pie that I ate back in those days was pumpkin. Then I can remember when I was working in Wichita and how I didn't have anyone there with me. I got a carry out dinner at Wyatt's Family Restaurant. How I missed my family those days!
When S and J were younger we would eat our traditional Thanksgiving at Boston Market. Well, why not? They had all of the fixing plus the apple pie to go with it! Then when Boston Market went out of business I bought turkey roast instead and saving the bird for Christmas. I changed my mom's dressing with less onions; and now pumpkin pie is not my only favorite pie, I like apple.
I wonder what traditions that S and J will develop for their families when they grow older? It will be interesting to see.
Have a healthy and Happy Thanksgiving! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment