Sunday, November 2, 2008

Some Positive Town Happenings

Sometimes or a lot of the times there is not that much happening in my little town. But today we had two positive happenings in our town and downtown at that!

Our downtown are here used to be fairly busy when I first moved to town about 19 years ago. They boasted a bank, an OTASCO (Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company) store, a grocery store, a pharmacy, a radio repair shop, a photography shop, a restaurant, and some other gift shop just north of the fountain. Then off to the east there was the only lumber company in town. You know, TWIFS.

Things started shrinking in the downtown area from 1989-1999, or so. The owners of the photography shop moved out of town; the gift shop owners stopped doing business; the radio repair shop man died; the restaurant (where we had a few dates) closed up business; the OTASCO store changed owners and eventually quit business all together; the WIFS moved to the highway; the owners of the downtown grocery store moved out on the highway; and the pharmacy ceased operation in town.

The pharmacy has since become The Lighthouse. At first our church had something to do with the activities. Then our church sold it to a group. This group was needing money to finance a heating system and air conditioning system to the building. Today, they held a chicken noodle dinner with drink and dessert for a love offering. Many people turned out. The group that runs the Lighthouse have been doing a lot of positive thing for the community. After home games, they open it up to host "Fifth Quarter," and BBQ hamburgers after the game. They have opened the building for many other activities. It is good that Harper has something positive for our small community. I hope they continue to do well.

The other positive was also held today. It was an Art show held at the Senior Center in the downtown area. L and I were the youngest there (at the time we attended). Awesome artians showed their paintings and their craft work. I marvel at how someone can just see something and be able to use their talents to create a work of art.

Harper needs to have more positives things like these for the community. I applaud those who were involved in these two events this past Sunday!

2 comments:

flute4peace said...

I thought the fundraiser went well yesterday - I'm glad to see that the group is being proactive. Hopefully they'll continue to receive the support they need to keep it going.

Who had the photography shop in town?

MB said...

Flaska were their names. They moved to Hays.