Wednesday, November 5, 2008

History has been made

What a night! I watched the coverage until late into the night and early morning. Our new President Elect is Barack Obama. Our first President from Hawaii! Even though my vote in this area didn't count in the electoral college vote, overall it did make a difference!

Some of my "republican" friends are shocked. "Now what?" they ask. Now they need to listen to what Barack Obama will do to help the economy and other issues facing this nation. They need to stop listening to the lies and rumors that were spread around by "their candidate." One of my friends on Facebook said they would follow God's authority and not mans. This is how I have felt for the past 8 years. But I believe that God allowed for Obama to win. People will have to put their feelings aside and work together for the good of the country. Yes, I realize some people are set in their ways and some grew up racist. In my own family, I wonder what my dad, a very strong Democrat, never ever voting Republican, would have voted. I'll never know. But it doesn't really matter. A new generation has been born.

A lot of people have compared this election to this of the election of President John F. Kennedy. He was a young Senator from Massachusetts, with a young family, and he was unique because he was Catholic. People took to him and some did not.

Now people are thinking about the fate that which happened to both Kennedy's, and Martin Luther King. To those people, I would like to address that security is beefed up and not to worry. There has always been some kind of nutty people out there always trying to plot against the President.

It is a new day and I look forward to the future of how America will be perceived by the world. I think this is a great day!

Congrats to Barack Obama and Joe Biden!

1 comment:

Donna said...

Hi, Marcia,

I would have left a comment much earlier, but my computer was being uncooperative.

Keith originally supported Hillary Clinton for president. He thought Obama was a good man, but was too inexperienced to be President at this particular time. He was listening to Meet the Press the day Obama was on and called to me from the bedroom. (I was in the living room). I went in to see what he wanted. He simply stated, "I am now officially a Barack Obama supporter." It seems that our guy so impressed him with his calm, thoughtful manner and command of the issues that the subject of experience became irrelevant. Keith knew that President-elect Obama could handle the job.

I feel hopeful about the future. We have an intelligent and reflective man taking over in January, a welcome relief from all the saber-rattling and downright stupidity of the last eight years.

I'm happy I had the opportunity to vote for him.