Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Return to KU Basketball

KU Basketball has returned on the airwaves. Actually it returned last Tuesday, but because there was a Presidential Election going on, I skipped the KU game last week. Well, I did try to watch them but there were so many different players, that it was hard to keep up with them. I also attribute the problems to poor video or poor televsion set on my part. But actually I was watching the election.

While watching the broadcast I was tired of the announcers. Too much gab and not enough basketball. They gave some of the players nicknames like Cole Aldrich is now known as "the long arm of the law," so now they call him the "Sheriff." I think this is just the announcers and nothing from the "official" KU people. Then they nicknamed Marcus and Markieff Morris as the "twin towers." I commented to S that, that was ironic since KU was playing Emporia State and everytime I hear "twin towers," it takes me back to the days when I was a student out there (for one whole semester) and living at the Twin Towers dorms. Last year the announcer (Dave Armstrong) called Conner Teahan, "cool hand Teahan." Armstrong must have a thing for Westerns. Wonder if he watches "The Rifleman?" (like I do).

Armstrong, who worked for a TV station in Hays, KS (most likely one of his first jobs and probably with KAYS---associated with KWCH) commented on the new walk on Jueneman. He cheered for him to get a basket (which he did). I had a broadcasting teacher who would constantly get angry at me when I would show favoritism, we were "supposed" to be impartial. It's pretty hard when you go to school with these players to be impartial. Armstrong also was a sportscaster on KSNW back when I was living in Wichita, so I remember him from there.

So it's back to watching the games on TV and going to one game in 16 days. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS!

No comments: